(VICTORVILLE, Calif. – May 26, 2021) – On Thursday, May 27 at 6 p.m., 81 outstanding High Desert students will benefit from scholarships provided by the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation, located on the campus of Desert Valley Hospital. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 awards ceremony will take place virtually with Daniela Gonzalez-Negrete, a nursing student at Victor Valley College, serving as one of the keynote speakers. From high school students entering universities to single mothers pursuing their dreams of healthcare service, each recipient will receive a scholarship from the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation with an overall contribution of $102,000.
“This year’s scholarship recipients have amazing stories of hard work and perseverance,” said Sunitha Reddy, director of the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation. “Each individual was selected for their passion to put others first and a commitment to make lives and our community better. We are grateful for the opportunity to support their dreams and future in medicine.”
The COVID-19 pandemic impacted lives in so many ways. This year’s increase in scholarship applications by students ranging in ages from 17 to 57 is an indication that more people want to be of service to others through careers in healthcare. Founded in 1994 by a long-time resident of the High Desert, Dr. Prem Reddy, Prime Healthcare chairman, president, and CEO, the foundation has donated millions to various charities supporting health education, college scholarships, public healthcare education, and free community clinics. To date, the foundation has awarded more than $1.4 million in academic scholarships to High Desert residents.
The High Desert of Southern California is a nationally recognized Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), meaning there is a shortage of primary, dental, or mental health care providers. Many of the scholarship recipients express a desire to remain in the High Desert serving their community.
“We’re seeing a common thread that should be celebrated, a relentless commitment to healthcare and a sincere desire to help others. In the aftermath of this unprecedented global pandemic, healthcare workers continue to be on the front line selflessly caring for patients all around the world,” said Reddy.
Scholarship recipients will be celebrated by an impressive group of local healthcare leaders. Additional event speakers include:
- Sunitha Reddy, director of the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation
- Dr. Venkamma Reddy, co-founder of the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation
- Fred Hunter, CEO of Desert Valley Hospital and Desert Valley Medical Group
- Dr. Paul Lyons, dean and president of the California University of Science and Medicine
- Dr. Imran Siddiqui, chief medical officer of Desert Valley Hospital and Desert Valley Medical Group
- Dr. Leroy Pascal, medical director of emergency services of Desert Valley Hospital
- Debra Jones, Mayor of Victorville
- Community members and media are invited to join the virtual awards ceremony so we can celebrate the accomplishments of the scholarship recipients together. To join, visit Zoom https://zoom.us/j/94125475351?pwd=WklDVzRXTjZVQmgxL051U1k0ak1FUT09
on May 27, 2021 at 5:45 p.m. The ceremony will begin promptly at 6 p.m.
For more information about the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation, please contact Eddie Hernandez at EddieHernandez@primehealthcare.com.